Saturday, December 7, 2013

Blog Post #16



What I would change from my first blog post (concerning teaching methods):

       I still stick to my bold points (kindling an appreciation for education in my students and teaching them to communicate effectively), mostly because I thought them up with good reason. However, I will certainly change my methods of implementing them as EDM310 has taught me how obsolete pen and paper have become.
       I still wish to teach my students to value education. I do not believe that there is any one way to go about achieving this—as the variety of ways students learn vary so greatly. But I do feel that immersing them in concepts and constantly explaining the meaning of assignments will aid this endeavor. Hopefully, I will be able to enable them to become self-reflective students through this endeavor as well.
       Furthermore, I still would like my students to create effective communication skills. No matter what they wish to achieve in their lives, communication will be an integral part. I think it is equally important that students master written communication as well, which I believe may easily be achieved by blogging daily. From re-reading my first blog post and comparing it to this blog post, I can see my own writing improve within the semester. So, blogging will become my go-to assignment for my students because it is so effective.
       I revoke my statement claiming that “I would use the styles of teaching that worked best on myself”. I find that statement completely comical now. There is no way that my students will learn the way that I did—the world will be a completely different place by then. So while I will keep the persona perhaps that the best of my teachers had along with their expectations, I do not expect to use the same methods with which I was taught to teach my students.
        Now, I plan to integrate the internet daily into my lesson plans. Because of EDM310, I have raised the standard that I wish my students to surpass. Not only will I expect them to read the assigned texts or books, but I will expect them to use tools such as iCurio to explore what experts have stated about the text, its specific contents, and the contextual environment surrounding its author. I will expect my students to learn from their blogging exercises to master the English language and realize their frequent grammar errors and misspellings and correct them appropriately. I plan to incorporate Skype interviews with experts and professionals of my PLN so my students can receive information from another source. I plan to collaborate my class with other classes around the world to work toward a common goal--an excellent opportunity for my students to learn to communicate effectively and learn to value education. Furthermore, I will encourage my students to teach me new tools I may implement as assignments or study resources. I look forward to becoming a teacher and sharing the learning experience with my students.


Main points of this reflective video:

  • a "green" English class is completely possible
  • blogging daily to enhance writing skills
  • turnitin.com for assessing plagiarism
  • googledocs for peer review
  • ipads and ibooks for text materials
  • iCurio for further (safe and credible) research
  • SMART technology isn't really all that difficult to figure out
  • PLNs are not so hard to find
  • most importantly, how to educate myself on becoming an effective teacher for the coming generation

1 comment:

  1. " I revoke my statement claiming that “I would use the styles of teaching that worked best on myself”. I find that statement completely comical now. There is no way that my students will learn the way that I did—the world will be a completely different place by then. So while I will keep the persona perhaps that the best of my teachers had along with their expectations, I do not expect to use the same methods with which I was taught to teach my students." Great point that you make and recognize in this statement. Students are learning in different ways and it is important for us as teachers to take advantage of the resources to teach them effectively.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete